5.27.2008

Mid-Month Grocery Blues

You know, I really had a reality check last night. I went to Meijer to get the weekly groceries. Nothing exotic, just the basic milk-eggs-bread, plus taking advantage a few specials (very few). And I'm rolling the cart out to the car to load up the trunk, and it hits me...my cart is scarily empty for just having spent almost $50.

Now, I read all the same articles you do - recessionrecessionrecession, the price of everything is going sky-high, Amerca's public getting a hard pinch - but I guess I didn't really believe it until last night. And that realization has me really taking a step back and assessing our situation. How is this going to affect the future of my family? Will we be doomed to eat more pizza?

And I just read a blurb from Gary Foreman of Dollar Stretcher fame, that the government just approved a "farm bill". You'd think this would be a good thing, helping out the farmers of America to lower prices in turn for us, right? Wrong. This benefit is strictly for farmers making more than 1.5 million per year. Yeah, that's what I thought, the little guys who might actually NEED it will be geting some relief. Riiiight. And, in true US government style, they're pushing for legislation that benefits themselves again, buying the big farmers' votes in advance.

Meanwhile, I'm happy to get a gallon of milk for $2.50.

I think we just need to brace ourselves, because this is going to get worse before it gets better.

No comments:

Post a Comment