11.26.2008

Giving Thanks

It's the eve of Thanksgiving. Most of the food is prepared, the travel plans are set. It's 2am, and a perfect time for reflections.
First and always, I'm thankful to God. For loving us all despite our many failings, and for giving us the opportunity to meet Him in heaven someday and thank Him in person.

I'm grateful for Yasar. He is my best friend, the completion of me. I know I can always depend on him, and he has our bests interests in the front of his mind. After 10 years together, he still makes me laugh. And staring into his green eyes can instill a sense of calm in my spirit. To think that God reached the other side of the world, and put His finger on this man and named him for me, it fills me with awe.

One of the greatest blessings God has bestowed on me is my son. Andrew is the light of my world. He is my reason for walking this earth. My favorite thing is when he comes downstairs in the morning and does his best to curl his lanky, 5-year-old frame into my lap, blow his stinky morning breath into my face as he says "good morning". That is my daily defining moment, and it overflows my heart.

My family is the greatest. Though sometimes they can be the most misunderstood, they are truly the most giving people I know. In times of struggle, they all band together to form this network of unconditional support. It never fails to amaze me, how we can be hundreds of miles apart for months on end, then when we finally meet again it's like slipping on a comfortable old sweater - the fit is always perfect.

I'm so thankful for my friends. My oldest ones, Joy and Melissa, who know all the dirty laundry and still choose to associate with me, who I can call and pick up where we left off, as if the miles between us are of no significance. And my new ones, Brenda, Christine, and Shari, who form the backbone of daily support I need while living so far from home. Without these women, I'd need a straightjacket and some heavy drugs.

And my new blogosphere friends, Tricia, Debbie, Pooji, and Julie, who I'd met before but never really had the chance to bond with, you guys provide the daily color in my life. Though I may not always comment on your blogs (something's awry with my Google Reader, so sometimes things slip me), I always look forward to seeing what's going on in your lives. It's comforting to know that there are others, fellow voyeurs willing to put their lives out there so others can look at them and say "hey, maybe it's not just me!" You guys rawk, you know that?

And there are many other blessings I have - 3 hots and a cot, clean running water, relatively good health. A car. The world's most awesome cat. An average IQ. Being born in the US. So many other blessings, each great in their own right. How can someone so rich have a single complaint?

What about you? What are you thankful for? Have I missed anything?
Photo by heavenly_angellourdes

4 comments:

  1. yes.. i am also thankful to so many things... one of them is you.. :)
    very well said, this is starred permanently.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful list of things to be thankful for!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the post! You are too kind and yes the feeling is mutual!

    Have a happy thanksgiving!
    Take care,
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  4. i was even then thank ful to u.. and so am I.. it doesn't matter that u mentioned me or not.. for me you are one of the good friends I got through blogging.. i really look forward to reading ur blog everyday... and I am serious... thanks alot for including my name. :)
    and hey if u have written it at 2:00 am, i must say that uwrite better at night :) take care

    ReplyDelete